Nespresso has introduced a totally new way of brewing espresso and coffee. Their coffee makers are extremely convenient and straightforward to use. They have released the second-generation VertuoLine models, among which are Nespresso Vertuo Plus and Nespresso Vertuo Evoluo. Confused about which one to choose? The comparison between Nespresso Vertuo Plus vs Evoluo below will help you out!
Continue reading below if you want to find out further about:
- How Vertuo Plus and Vertuo Evoluo are similar
- The key differences that set these two models apart
- The design, build quality, and dimensions of each model
- Which machine that has a larger reservoir capacity
- The heat-up time of Nespresso Vertuo Plus vs Evoluo
- Which Nespresso coffee maker that’s better & more recommended
Let us start with the similarities between these two Nespresso espresso and coffee machines. By knowing the features that the Vertuo Plus and the Vertuo Evoluo share in common, you will know for sure what things that you will get regardless of the model that you choose. See also: Keurig B140 Vs B145.
The similarities between Vertuo Plus and Vertuo Evoluo are:
- Both models work automatically, and both can detect blend-specific information from Nespresso’s beverage capsules for optimum brew quality. You don’t need to fumble with any complicated setting; just hit a single button and you will get quality coffee.
- Both models come with the company’s proprietary Centrifusion extraction technology. This system performs extraction by blending the ground coffee with hot water and spinning them at 7,000 RPM to deliver rich coffee with perfect crema.
- Each of them offers 5 selectable brew sizes, which are espresso (1.35oz), double espresso (2.7oz), gran lungo (5oz), coffee (8oz), and alto coffee (14oz).
- Both models only work with the new Nespresso Vertuo capsules, which currently have 10 espressos and 16 coffees with varying flavors and intensity levels. These machines are not compatible with the older capsules, which are smaller in size.
- Neither has a milk frother, but you get the option to buy either model in a bundle that includes the stand-alone Nespresso Aeroccino milk frother. If you want to make drinks like latte or cappuccino, getting the milk frother is a great idea.
So, what are the differences between Nespresso Vertuo Plus vs Evoluo? Well, there are several:
- Design-wise, they are really different. Nespresso Vertuo Plus is slimmer yet taller, featuring a water reservoir that can be put at different positions. Nespresso Vertuo Evoluo is thicker yet shorter, with an oversized water reservoir that is placed on the rear part of the unit.
- Nespresso Vertuo Plus has a slightly smaller reservoir capacity, which is 40 oz. Nespresso Vertuo Evoluo offers a larger reservoir capacity of 56 oz.
- Although both models are generally considered fast, Nespresso Vertuo Plus takes 20 – 25 seconds to heat-up whereas Nespresso Vertuo Evoluo only takes 15 – 20 seconds to heat-up.
- In terms of noise, Nespresso Vertuo Plus is slightly better. It is very silent during the brewing cycle. On the other hand, Nespresso Vertuo Evoluo is not too noisy and won’t bother people in other rooms, but the volume level is indeed a bit higher.
Nespresso Vertuo Plus: Design & Features
Now that you know the key differences between the two models, let’s take a deeper look into them. Let’s start with Nespresso Vertuo Plus. The overall build quality is decent. Nespresso Vertuo Plus is not only very good-looking; it also feels solid and robust despite the plastic construction.
From the outside, Nespresso Vertuo Plus may appear like a giant traditional Nespresso machine. It measures 142mm x 325mm x 423mm. Although it is relatively larger than the predecessors, it is still slimmer and more compact than some other models, including Nespresso Vertuo Evoluo. Needless to say, the operation remains extremely simple: just pick up the reservoir to fill some water, put the reservoir back, insert a beverage capsule, and hit the button.
There are five cup sizes to choose from, which are espresso (1.35oz), double espresso (2.7oz), gran lungo (5oz), coffee (8oz), and alto coffee (14oz). Make sure that you use a capsule that has the right brew size.
The design of the reservoir is unique, and makes one of the distinctions of Nespresso Vertuo Plus vs Evoluo. You can adjust the position of the reservoir to be on the left, right, or rear of the unit. This allows some flexibility which can be very useful if you have a strict space limitation.
Meanwhile, on the front, there is a drip tray whose height is adjustable to accommodate different cup sizes. When using a small espresso cup, you can increase the height of the drip tray to prevent spills. The capsule container is separate from the drip tray and can be pulled out from the back for mess-free emptying.
Nespresso Vertuo Plus: Performance
Nespresso machines have always been about simplicity, and Nespresso Vertuo Plus has emphasized on this as well by coming with an intelligent blend-specific brewing. Each Nespresso Evoluo beverage capsule has a barcode which contains specific brewing information. The machine reads the barcode in order to adjust its brewing parameters and water volume automatically.
As the effect, the operation is very simple, and the performance is very consistent. You don’t need to worry about things like temperature or duration; all of such parameters are handled by the machine. You just hit a single button and wait for a few seconds to get quality coffee.
That said, you can still change the water volume if you really want to customize your cup of coffee. The pre-configured amounts are already good, but you can reduce the water volume if you want to increase the intensity.
So far, there is no Nespresso Vertuo machine that has an integrated milk frother. However, this shouldn’t stop you from making latte and cappuccino. You can get the Nespresso Aeroccino milk frother to complement your machine and add frothed milk to your coffee.
Nespresso Vertuo Plus works quite quickly. The heat-up time only takes 20 – 25 seconds, so you can get your coffee in no time. The quality of the shots is very consistent. The coffee comes out at around 67 degrees Celsius.
The coffee flavor is indeed a bit different from traditional espresso or americano. This is due to the unique brewing system, which uses rapid spinning. The coffee is surprisingly rich and full-bodied. The crema is also well-defined.
Nespresso Vertuo Evoluo: Design & Features
Now, we’ll continue with Nespresso Vertuo Evoluo. This model arguably looks more similar to the older Nespresso models compared to Nespresso Vertuo Plus. The design is minimalist and spot-on. It is actually quite compact, and there is a certain air of class and elegance around it.
The build quality is also very good. The construction is mostly plastic, but it doesn’t appear cheap at all. There are metal accents implemented here and there. The unit feels rugged and durable. It measures 228.6mm x 309.8mm x 312.4mm, which means that the Vertuo Evoluo is wider yet shorter than the Vertuo Plus.
The reservoir is located on the rear side. It has a large capacity, and the sides of the reservoir extend outside the machine. Nevertheless, the reservoir is also well-made and robust. You won’t find any leaking issue or structural flaw.
There is also an adjustable drip tray on the front, which is a very important feature if you don’t want your coffee to spill when using short cups. Meanwhile, the capsule container can hold up to 17 used capsules before it needs to be emptied.
As mentioned above, both Nespresso Vertuo Plus vs Evoluo work automatically by reading blend-specific information from the capsules. Nespresso Vertuo Evoluo only requires you to hit a single button to start brewing and give you delicious coffee. There are five brew size options: espresso (1.35oz), double espresso (2.7oz), gran lungo (5oz), coffee (8oz), and alto coffee (14oz).
Nespresso Vertuo Evoluo: Performance
One of the main benefits that Nespresso Vertuo Evoluo offers is the fast performance. This model is able to heat-up within 15 – 20 seconds, no matter which brew size that you choose. That’s even faster than Nespresso Vertuo Plus. As the effect, you will find that Nespresso Vertuo Evoluo is even more convenient and practical to use.
With other coffee machines, we often need to sacrifice performance and coffee quality for convenience. However, this is not the case at all with Nespresso Vertuo Evoluo. Even though the unit lacks customizability, you actually won’t need to customize anything – the results are always consistent with excellent flavors.
Many users have noted that Nespresso Vertuo Evoluo is able to deliver bold, rich coffee. Espresso comes out with thick, delicious crema. The temperature is consistent around 67 – 68 degrees Celsius.
Nespresso Vertuo Plus vs Evoluo
In general, Nespresso Vertuo Evoluo is more recommended. It is faster, and it comes with a larger water reservoir meaning that you won’t need to refill it too frequently. The coffee quality is consistently good. However, Nespresso Vertuo Plus can be a nice alternative if you need a slim, compact unit that can fit in a tight space.